ACV facts & figures
A career as a car salesman can be very rewarding. No matter if you are brand new to sales or a veteran, it’s always good to continually hone and revisit your skills to close more deals. Many successful salespeople have a constant flow of customers and seem to close every deal, and that can be you too.
As a car salesman, success greatly relies on your ability to close deals and cultivate and maintain client loyalty. Fortunately, by making some slight adjustments to your presentation, client relations, and communication, you can build customer loyalty and sell more cars.
How to Boost Your Car Sales Skills
1.Know Your Product
When a client comes to buy a car, they’re not there for just a vehicle. They want one that can meet specific needs in their personal or professional life.
For instance, if a business owner comes to shop for a delivery truck to do deliveries, they'll want one that can adequately handle their orders. But beyond this, they'll be curious about the fuel consumption rate, repair costs, and durability.
Even though customers typically spend hours online researching a vehicle, they still expect you to be knowledgeable about the vehicles you're selling. So, to succeed as a car salesman, you need to understand your products inside and out. Otherwise, would-be customers will lose faith in you, and you'll lose the sale.
Therefore, you should research the vehicles you're selling. Learn about the specific features and advantages of each model. The more details you'll have, the better. You'll be surprised how simple features like heated seats influence buying decisions.
Secondly, take each vehicle for a test drive. Knowing how it handles on the road will give you the confidence to respond to client inquiries.
2. Build Trust With Your Customers
Purchasing a vehicle is always a significant investment, regardless of the type and cost. As such, it’s a decision that clients take seriously to avoid costly mistakes. Your role in this as a car salesman is crucial. Aside from being knowledgeable, you have to build trust with customers.
According to an Edelman Trust Barometer Special Report, 81% of consumers make purchasing decisions based on trust. Since they’re more inclined to purchase products from people they like and trust, you need to foster strong client relationships.
But therein lies the challenge. How do you win your consumers' trust after meeting them?
Start by giving each client your full attention and remembering their name. Always do your best to address your clients by their names.
During interactions, try and determine what they want and need and ask questions to learn more. Moreover, be open and honest with your clients. Never claim to know the answer to a question if you don't. Instead, assure them you'll find out.
With a genuinely friendly and honest approach, they won't just trust you; they'll want to buy their car from you. This also comes with after-sale benefits, as they'll recommend you to others and reach out to you for subsequent purchases.
3. Practice Effective Communication
In sales, effective communication is crucial. You need to make sure that you pass on all the relevant information. It's not just about what you say but how you say it. In addition to communicating positively, here are some tips for effective communication:
- Speak slowly and clearly
- Use positive language
- Be brief and straightforward when speaking
- Give examples to support your arguments
- Listen and take time to hear what your customers are saying
- Maintain eye contact, especially when listening
4. Master the Art of Negotiation
Now that you know how to communicate effectively, clients will understand you better. However, this is still not enough to consistently convert prospects into paying customers. Expect clients to raise objections, from the price to whether the vehicle suits their needs.
This is where your negotiation skills will come into play. You must understand customers' concerns and formulate a mutually beneficial solution.
Here are some suggestions for productive bargaining:
- Understand and appreciate your customers’ needs
- Be flexible
- Don’t be afraid to make the first offer
- Always act with decency and professionalism
5. Follow Up With Clients After the Sale
One of the skills you should learn to boost your success is initiating the next sale long before the client returns or reaches out. To enhance customer loyalty, keep communicating with clients after the transaction.
During the early days, you can inquire about their experience with the vehicle and offer tips for getting the most out of their car. After some time, send them other vehicles they may be interested in. Doing this demonstrates that you care about their pleasure and meet their long-term needs.
Here are some pointers for efficient follow-up:
- Make phone calls or customized emails
- Ask for opinions
- Address any complaints or concerns right away
- Provide incentives for upcoming purchases
Selling More Cars Is All About Getting the Little Details Right
There are a lot of things that determine your success or failure in selling cars. While investing in your car dealership's digital marketing is important to get the right clients through the door, that's not enough. Ultimately, closing the deal comes down to you. This takes work and begins with the little things that help you build rapport and trust with clients.
Always remember that developing relationships with your clients is the key to success. Begin by mastering your products inside out to demonstrate your authority in the field. If you accompany this with top-notch communication and negotiation skills, you’ll sell more cars than you can imagine. In addition, leverage solutions that will help you scale your operations.
In addition, leverage solutions that will help you scale your operations and find the inventory that your customers want efficiently. ACV Auctions suite of products can help dealers acquire the vehicles their customers need efficiently by giving them access to nationwide inventory that has the industry's best condition report. Our Vehicle Condition reports are extremely detailed and transparent, with over 40 pictures, OBD II Readings, Engine Sound, and more. Register to become a member and take your dealership to the next level with our cutting-edge solutions.
- Rains, Andrew. (20 Sep 2021). Dealership Customer Experience: The Key To Keeping Business In The World Of Online-Only Retailers. Forbes, retrieved on April 24th 2023, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesbusinessdevelopmentcouncil/2021/09/20/dealership-customer-experience-the-key-to-keeping-business-in-the-world-of-online-only-retailers/?sh=55b2259c7834
- Car sales tips: How to be a good car salesperson. Pipedrive, retrieved on April 24th 2023 from https://www.pipedrive.com/en/blog/how-to-be-a-good-car-salesperson
- Prater, Meg.(17 Nov 2021). How to Be a Good Car Salesperson. HubSpot, retrieved on April 24th 2023, from https://blog.hubspot.com/sales/how-to-be-a-good-car-salesperson
- May, Michael. (20 April 2023). How To Be a Good Car Salesperson: Duties and Advice. indeed, retrieved on 24th April 2023, from https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/how-to-be-good-car-salesperson
- 25 Car Salesman Tips for Selling More Cars. CarSalesProfessional.com, retrieved on April 24th 2023, from https://carsalesprofessional.com/car-salesman-tips/
Aug 30, 2023