ACV facts & figures
Luxury car buyers are savvy shoppers, and they’ll research diligently until they find the perfect balance of style, performance, and overall quality. Naturally, these buyers also want a great price, meaning used luxury cars can be very attractive.
The hunt for the most reliable used luxury car isn’t always easy, but a well-stocked lot will make your customer’s experience much more positive. Here are a few of the best used luxury cars to focus on when watching automotive auctions. From the best luxury compact cars to the best used luxury sedan, consider these options for your dealership.
Best Used Luxury Compact Cars
1. Audi A3
When it comes to compact luxury cars, German manufacturer Audi consistently ranks high. This is because the luxury car maker packs its models with plenty of style, comfort, and fierce performance to boot¹. From its signature grille to its minimalistic interior and high-tech features, like a storable infotainment display, the 2018-2020 Audi A3 is sophisticated with a hint of sporty—a fine combination for any modern driver. With an NHTSA five-star overall safety rating and the title of IIHS Top Safety Pick², the Audi A3 is a worthy option.
2. Lexus IS
For a sporty option that doesn’t compromise on style or performance, the 2018-2020 Lexus IS is a solid choice. Its nimble maneuverability, comfortable seating, and driver assist features provide a reliable ride³. The Lexus IS is ideal for the first-time luxury buyer thanks to its user-friendly controls, including integrated navigation, and ample cargo space.
3. BMW 3 Series
Versatility meets luxury with the iconic BMW 3 Series. The 2018 BMW 3 Series is available in multiple body types, all with room for five-person seating and a standard onboard infotainment system. Since performance matters to many luxury car buyers, it’s worth highlighting the 180- to 444-horsepower range and comfortable, responsive steering⁴. Despite being a compact car, it’s big on style and power.
Best Used Luxury Sedans
1. Lexus ES
As far as midsize vehicles go, the 2018-2019 Lexus ES is a diamond in the rough. Its appeal comes from its spacious interior, leather seats, and convenient features that come standard in the 2018 and 2019 models. The 2019 model includes Apple CarPlay® and Amazon Alexa syncing between the car and the driver’s home⁵.
2. BMW 5 Series
The perfect combination of safety, comfort, and power, the 2018 BMW 5 Series offers many of the same features as the compact 3 Series but in a more spacious format. If your customer is looking for a luxurious family vehicle, the large trunk and quiet cabin make this a winning option. The BMW 5 Series is available in a number of different trim packages with unique configurations of upgraded power features and amenities⁵.
3. Mercedes-Benz E-Class
This long-time favorite is a staple in the luxury car market, so there’s likely to be plenty of used inventory to choose from. Unlike many other used luxury cars, the E-Class features a range of powerful diesel engine options. The base model comes with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine boasting 255 horsepower, and the options only get stronger from there⁷. The E-Class comes in several body types with room for up to seven people—and best of all, the insulated cabin keeps out unwanted road noise.
Let ACV Auctions Help You Find the Right Used Luxury Car Inventory
Attracting luxury car buyers starts with having the vehicles they want. ACV Auctions makes it easy to set up watch lists for in-demand makes and models and bid on vehicles quickly. Our transparent market and condition reports tell you exactly what to expect from every used luxury car that comes up for auction on our platform. Sign up today and enjoy a full-service experience, including financing and transportation support.
1. 2018 Audi A3. J.D. Power. Retrieved November 29, 2022, from https://www.jdpower.com/cars/2018/audi/a3
2. Ballin’ on a Budget, Step 1: Buy One of These Used Luxury Cars. Motortrend. Retrieved November 29, 2022, from https://www.motortrend.com/features/best-used-luxury-cars-to-buy/
3. 2018 Lexus IS. Car and Driver. Retrieved November 29, 2022, from https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/is-2018
4. Doell, Z. (8 July 2019). 2018 BMW 3-Series Review. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved November 29, 2022, from https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bmw/3-series/2018
5. Lin, K. (25 April 2018). 2019 Lexus ES First Look: Catching Up. Motortrend. Retrieved November 29, 2022, from https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2019-lexus-es-first-look-review/
6. Jones, C. (28 June 2019). 2018 BMW 5-Series Review. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved November 29, 2022, from https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bmw/5-series/2018
7. Tralongo, J. (23 December 2019). 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Review. Kelley Blue Book. Retrieved November 29, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/mercedes-benz/e-class/2016/
Jan 26, 2023