ACV facts & figures
Nearly 50 million households across the United States include children under the age of 18¹. To cater to this large market segment, dealerships need to make sure they stock a variety of the highest rated family vehicles, from sedans to SUVs and minivans.
But what do families value most when buying a vehicle? Here’s what they look for, plus some ideas on vehicles you should stock to land sales with families.
What Used Vehicle Qualities Do Families Care About?
Different groups of people care about different qualities in the vehicles they purchase. Older adults, for example, might value driving comfort and reliability, while car enthusiasts care more about design and speed.
Parents shopping for used cars for their families want reliable, safe, and convenient options. They need cars with enough seating capacity for the whole family and possibly more if they plan to grow or participate in carpooling.
Safety is also a top concern for parents². Since they’ll be driving very precious cargo in these vehicles, parents will be interested in the crash-test ratings, standard safety features, and any additional safety measures the vehicles have. Along the same lines, vehicles with high reliability ratings tend to be particularly popular among parents.
In general, the qualities you can expect parents to look for when shopping for the best used family cars include:
- Seating capacity
- Cargo space
- Family-friendly features
It’s important to note that any body type can be a great family car because every family will have different capacity and comfort needs—and their needs might change over time as the kids grow up and get involved in activities.
Best SUVs for Families
SUVs are a great choice for families thanks to their flexible seating capacity and additional cargo space. Parents may also like that an SUV offers increased protection in the event of an accident.
2017 Ford Edge
The 2017 Ford Edge is one of the best SUVs for families. This two-row midsize SUV offers lots of space for passengers and cargo and many standard safety features³ designed to protect passengers of all ages.
2019 Chevrolet Traverse
As a full-size crossover SUV, the Chevrolet Traverse comfortably fits up to eight passengers. Parents will find that the ultra-smooth ride in the Traverse is pleasant and may even keep their kids asleep on a long drive.
2020 Subaru Forester
Anyone looking for the best used family vehicle should consider the 2020 Subaru Forester. This compact SUV isn’t flashy, but it does provide excellent cargo space and is generally very reliable⁴.
Best Sedans for Families
For those with smaller families, a sedan may be the right choice. These vehicles offer plenty of style and amenities for everyday driving.
2018 Honda Accord
The Honda Accord is popular among many segments of the used car market, including families. Parents will love the Accord’s wide array of standard safety technology and superior safety ratings⁵. Not only is it very safe, but it’s also reliable—an ideal combination for families.
2020 Toyota Camry
Like the Honda Accord, the 2020 Toyota Camry is another sedan with strong safety ratings and features. U.S. News & World Report selected this vehicle as its Best Midsize Car for the Money and Best Midsize Car for Families in 2020⁶, making it highly reliable as a used car. It offers composed handling and a roomy cabin that will nicely fit up to five family members.
2019 Toyota Avalon
Also from Toyota, the 2019 Toyota Avalon similarly provides features families will love. It has an upscale interior and high safety score, plus lots of active safety technology to keep the family safe.
Best Minivans for Families
Minivans are the vehicle many people think of when they hear the phrase “large family cars,” and they remain popular among families shopping for vehicles. Here are a few of the top used minivans for families.
2017 Honda Odyssey
The Honda Odyssey is one of the most highly regarded minivans in the United States⁷, and for good reason. With a spacious interior and excellent safety ratings, the 2017 Honda Odyssey deserves a place on the list of best vehicles for large families.
2019 Kia Sedona
Compared to some of the other popular minivans for families, the 2017 Kia Sedona is a more affordable option. This minivan has a strong predicted reliability rating⁸, a high safety score, and offers a comfortable ride.
2018 Chrysler Pacifica
The 2018 Chrysler Pacifica offers a comfortable ride and good fuel economy in addition to its upscale interior. Though it doesn’t have as much cargo space as some other minivans, the 2018 Chrysler Pacifica is still sure to be a great option for parents shopping for the best family vehicle used.
Find Reliable Used Family Cars at Great Prices
Find these and other great family cars to stock at your dealership at ACV Auctions. With competitive prices and detailed vehicle and market reports, there’s no better choice than ACV Auctions to fill out your dealership’s used car inventory.
Join today to get started.
1. Duffin, E. (12 December 2022). Number of family households with children under 18 in the U.S., by age 2022. Statistica. Retrieved December 12, 2022, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/679812/number-of-households-with-children-by-age/
2. Volvo Car USA Newsroom. (16 September 2019). Parents are Increasingly Anxious about Child Safety on the Road. Volvo. Retrieved December 12, 2022, from https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/media/pressreleases/257201/survey-parents-are-increasingly-anxious-about-child-safety-on-the-road
3. Degen, M. (25 November 2019). 2017 Ford Edge Review. Kelley Blue Book. Retrieved December 12, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/ford/edge/2017/
4. 2020 Subaru Forester. JD Power. Retrieved December 12, 2022, from https://www.jdpower.com/cars/2020/subaru/forester
5. 2018 Honda Accord. IIHS.org. Retrieved December 12, 2022, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/honda/accord-4-door-sedan/2018
6. Koses B. (2 September 2021). 2020 Toyota Camry Review. U. S. News & World Report. Retrieved December 12, 2022, from https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/camry/2020
7. Ask the Experts: Should You Buy a Honda Odyssey? Carmax. Retrieved December 12, 2022, from https://www.carmax.com/articles/2019-honda-odyssey-road-test-video-and-review
8. 2019 Kia Sedona. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved December 12, 2022, from https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/kia/sedona/2019
Jan 26, 2023