ACV facts & figures
The supply chain issues brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic have had an enormous impact on the automotive industry — and the problems aren’t over yet. As you may have seen in automotive news sources, the semiconductor manufacturing bottlenecks brought on by carmakers’ initial response to lockdowns have resulted in an ongoing chip shortage. New car prices are still high, and the used car market still feels the repercussions.13
While semiconductor chip supply is improving in the second half of this year,10 microchips are still in short supply. Electric vehicles have been hit particularly hard by the car chip shortage - an issue exasperated by increasing demand due to soaring gas prices.11
Regional Considerations for Cars Not Affected By The Chip Shortage
While the microchip shortage is global, you may find certain car types are more prevalent in your region than others. For example, you may find it lucrative to stock pickup trucks if you’re living in a landlocked state, so the vehicles on this list may be quality additions to your inventory. Or, if you’re closer to the coast, stocking more sedans unaffected by the chip shortage may be a good call.7 With the proper knowledge of available cars and your client base’s needs, you can help your customers find the best car to buy during the chip shortage.
Top 7 Cars Unaffected By The Chip Shortage
Dealerships need to be flexible and innovative in response to market volatility. People looking for new cars still have limited options, but the semiconductor chip shortage hasn't affected some models.1
So, what cars are unaffected by the chip shortage? Though the market landscape is constantly changing, the following vehicles have enjoyed the most availability during the worst of the chip shortage. Some models listed are cars without chips, some had significant inventory supply ahead of the pandemic, and others found popularity more recently and have remained available despite the shortage.15
2021 Hyundai Sonata
The Sonata is a great choice for families. It’s fuel-efficient and packed with safety features. It has lots of front-seat legroom and a substantial warranty. It’s worth noting the base model doesn’t have blind spot monitoring, and there are a few entertainment features some customers may miss. Still, it’s an excellent choice for many and tends to have excellent availability.9
Vehicle type: Midsize sedan
Engine type: 2.5-liter 4-cylinder
Drive type: Front-wheel drive (FWD)
Average days on lot: 95
Price: Starts at $23,600
2021 Jeep Compass
The Jeep Compass is reliable and aesthetically appealing. While the resale value and fuel economy are average for its class, there are numerous options and packages your customers may love. Initially slow to find footing, the Jeep Compass found favor among consumers for its versatility and fuel efficiency.
The base model offers features including an infotainment system and dual-zone automatic climate control. The Jeep Compass is a great choice for your customers who want Jeep’s off-roading capabilities but don’t want a full-size SUV.2
Vehicle type: Small SUV Crossover
Engine type: 2.4-liter 4-cylinder
Drive type: FWD is standard and all-wheel drive (AWD) is available for some models.
Average days on lot: 129
Price: Starts at $23,895
2021 Nissan Titan
For your customers looking for a truck with a great warranty, it’s hard to beat the Titan. Not everyone will love the headroom or ride quality, but the base model offers excellent safety features, 9-speed automatic transmission, and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.5
Vehicle type: Pickup truck
Engine type: Direct-injected 5.6-liter V8
Drive type: Rear-wheel drive (RWD) is standard, and AWD is available for some models.
Average days on lot: 71
Price: Starts at $36,550
2021 Nissan Altima
A great alternative to less available hybrid or electric options, the sporty and efficient Altima is a win for customers looking for value. At the same time, some may not prefer the CVT transmission. However, it’s a comfortable ride, and the VC-Turbo engine has received rave reviews from experts.3
Vehicle type: Midsize sedan
Engine type: 2.5-liter 4-cylinder for base model and the highly regarded turbocharged variable-compression 2.0-liter 4-cylinder for the SR models.
Drive type: FWD is standard, and AWD is available for some models.
Average days on lot: 71
Price: Starts at $24,300
2021 Ram 1500 Classic
Your customers who need a capable and reliable pickup truck with great ride quality and a reasonable price point may go for the Ram 1500 Classic. Though it boasts relatively modest features and resale value for its class, it is widely available and may still be a good fit for folks who don’t mind — or prefer — a slightly less up-to-date model.16
Vehicle type: Full-size pickup truck
Engine type: Gasoline V6 generating 269 lb-ft of torque for the base model and V8 available for higher-end models.
Drive type: RWD is standard and AWD is available for some models.
Average days on lot: 79
Price: Starts at $30,395
2021 Nissan Sentra
The 2021 Sentra has been upgraded compared to previous model years, with state-of-the-art tech and an excellent suite of safety features. Though it does have some blindspot issues and there’s no hybrid option — like most cars on this list — experts recommend it for its high-quality driving dynamics and comfortable interior.12
Vehicle type: Compact Sedan
Engine type: 2.0-liter 4-cylinder
Drive type: FWD
Average days on lot: 51
Price: Starts at $19,410
2021 Volvo XC60
The Volvo XC60 is another excellent choice for your customers looking for best-in-class safety features and a luxurious ride. While there are some limitations with interior features (like no power-folding rear seat), it may be a great alternative for customers looking for the more scarce BMW X3 or Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class.4
Vehicle type: Compact SUV/Crossover
Engine type: Turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder base; Turbocharged and supercharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder available
Drive type: Front-wheel drive is standard, and AWD is available for some models.
Average days on lot: 54
Price: Starts at $41,700
2021 Ford Expedition
The Ford Expedition is roomy and has good fuel efficiency compared to the rest of its class. While it can be tough to park in the city because of its build size, it may be the perfect choice for your suburban customers who need space and a comfortable ride.15
Vehicle type: Full-size SUV
Engine type: Twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6.
Drive type: RWD is standard, and AWD is available for some models.
Average days on lot: 50
Price: Starts at $49,025.
A Few Other Models to Consider
The Chrysler 300 is also worth a look. Though Chrysler has limited models, they’ve also had significant inventory compared to other carmakers during the shortage.6
Some options from Ford and Jeep tend to stay on the lot longer than the models above but may still be worth considering. Two such models include the 2020 Ford EcoSport and the Jeep Renegade. Both average 158 and 102 days on the lot, respectively.6
Find Great Deals on Cars Not Affected By The Chip Shortage at ACV’s Online Auction!
If you’re looking to stock your inventory with models that the chip shortage hasn’t impacted, ACV has you covered.
So, how do online car auctions work? At ACV auctions, our market report uses real-time data to provide a price range for a vehicle based on VIN or Year/Make/Model/Trim, so you never overpay. Our powerful search filters allow you to quickly zero in on the cars you're looking for or get alerts when they hit the auction block.
Ready to source incredible inventory, including cars not affected by the shortage today? Start by simply registering below. We look forward to working with you at ACV Auctions!
- Anderson, B. (2021, November 14). The Lucky Cars That Haven’t Been Hit The Chip Shortage. Hot Cars. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.hotcars.com/cars-that-havent-hit-the-chip-shortage/
- DeLorenzo, M. (2020, December 7). New 2021 Jeep Compass Reviews, Pricing & Specs | Kelley Blue Book. KBB. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/jeep/compass/2021/
- DeLorenzo, M. (2021, October 4). New 2021 Nissan Altima Reviews, Pricing & Specs | Kelley Blue Book. KBB. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/nissan/altima/2021/
- DeLorenzo, M. (2021b, September 20). New 2021 Volvo XC60 Reviews, Pricing & Specs | Kelley Blue Book. KBB. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/volvo/xc60/2021/
- Dorchies, T. (2021, September 9). New 2021 Nissan TITAN Reviews, Pricing & Specs | Kelley Blue Book. KBB. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/nissan/titan/2021/
- H. (2022, June 14). The Semiconductor Supply Chain and the Global Chip Shortage. ZhenHub. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://zhenhub.com/blog/semiconductor-supply-chain/
- Healey, A. (2021, October 10). The Most Popular States for Pickup Trucks All Have 1 Thing in Common | GetJerry.com. Get Jerry. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://getjerry.com/insights/most-popular-states-for-pickup-trucks-have-1-thing-in-common
- Keaton, S. (2022, June 3). What Are the Easiest Cars to Find During the Chip Shortage? MotorBiscuit. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.motorbiscuit.com/easiest-cars-find-during-chip-shortage/
- Nagy, B. (2021, February 11). New 2021 Hyundai Sonata Reviews, Pricing & Specs | Kelley Blue Book. KBB. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/hyundai/sonata/2021/
- Revill, J., & Mukherjee, S. (2022, July 21). Global manufacturers see chip shortage easing. Reuters. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.reuters.com/technology/global-manufacturers-see-chip-shortage-easing-2022-07-21/
- South China Morning Post. (2022, January 9). Yahoo is part of the Yahoo family of brands. Yahoo. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.yahoo.com/video/chip-shortage-leaves-tesla-other-093000973.html?guccounter=1&guce_
- Swan, T. (2021, February 1). New 2021 Nissan Sentra Reviews, Pricing & Specs | Kelley Blue Book. KBB. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/nissan/sentra/2021/
- Tucker, S. (2022, July 1). Is The End of the Chip Shortage in Sight? Kelley Blue Book. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/car-news/is-the-end-of-the-chip-shortage-in-sight/#:%7E:text=A%20strange%20combination%20of%20events,their%20orders%20for%20new%20microchips
- Tucker, S. (2021c, November 2). New 2021 Ford Expedition Reviews, Pricing & Specs | Kelley Blue Book. KBB. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/ford/expedition/2021/
- Tucker, S. (2021, September 20). New 2021 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab Reviews, Pricing & Specs | Kelley Blue Book. KBB. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/ram/1500-classic-crew-cab/2021/
- Wiesenfelder, J. (2021). Inventory Pinch: 25 Models Still Out There. Cars.Com. Retrieved August 26, 2022, from https://www.cars.com/articles/inventory-shortage-which-models-are-still-in-supply-436731/
Jan 26, 2023