ACV facts & figures
Pickup trucks are a worthwhile choice for a consumer looking for a vehicle that blends versatility with style. In 2020, pickup trucks made up 13% of all vehicles sold in the U.S.¹, and the pickup truck market is projected to grow to over $250 billion by 2028². Modern trucks have sleek, rounded designs that pop while still providing ample cargo space. As the market expands, there’s more variety in the amount of passenger seating, bed size, and off-roading capability—and this means there are plenty of options that will appeal to consumers. Below are four options worth considering when buying used trucks for your dealership.
Top 4 Used Trucks for Dealers to Stock
1. Ford F-150 (2017)
Few trucks are as iconic as the Ford F-150. Their F-series vehicles are top sellers year after year³, and the 2017 model year offers true versatility with luxury interior options on top of the performance drivers have long expected from the brand. The 2017 F-150 features a 10-speed transmission and 365-horsepower twin-turbo V-6 engine with the option of rear- or all-wheel drive. Drivers can also enjoy leather seating and trim with heat and massage upgrades⁴.
What truly sets this model apart? The available Wi-Fi hotspot and 3-prong power outlets make this used truck attractive to drivers looking for reliable access to entertainment and communication⁵. Customers looking for a business truck will also appreciate being able to keep up with work when they’re off-site.
2. Toyota Tacoma (2019)
Few brands are as synonymous with quality and durability as Toyota. The Toyota Tacoma—affectionately called “the taco”⁶—is a great value for the dollar. These trucks have a low expected ownership cost compared to similar vehicles and can handle off-road terrain easily. They’re smaller than other pickup truck options on the market, so they’re ideal for customers who prioritize performance over amenities. The 2019 Tacoma does have several modern safety features, including lane and pedestrian detection, adaptive cruise control, and forward collision warning⁷.
The Tacoma isn’t known for smooth handling, but it will drive well on rougher terrain, especially with the TRD Pro upgrade. While fancy add-ons aren't the truck’s strong suit, it still comes with an infotainment screen with voice control. A customer looking to take detours off the beaten path without needing a lot of cargo capacity is sure to be drawn to the Tacoma⁸.
3. Chevy Colorado (2017)
The Chevy Colorado is a solid compact option with smooth handling and a comfortable ride. The Colorado comes in a variety of trims, cab configurations, and powertrain options for a customized ownership experience9. The ZR2 option was made for off-road use thanks to its Multimatic shocks and independent rear and front differentials10, but any driver will find something to love in this used truck’s suite of infotainment features, including Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™.
4. Ram 1500 (2018)
The 2018 Ram 1500 is a capable truck with a wide range of amenities. The Tradesman trim has minimal extras, while higher trims can include a heated steering wheel and seats, multi-zone climate control, and wooden accents11. It has a roomy cabin but does have a small cargo bed and storage inside than other trucks in its class. Its above-average suspension, optional air suspension, and great handling give it a car-like feel when driving.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gave the 2018 Ram 1500 a safety rating of 4 out of 5 stars and includes frontal, side impact, and side curtain airbags12. The Ram 1500 is a great option for anyone looking for a smooth ride and a flexible range of amenities.
Your Source for Reliable Used Trucks
If you’re in the market for a pre-owned truck for your dealership, join ACV Auctions for access to an extensive dealer auction platform and comprehensive market reporting. Members rely on this online marketplace to offer high-quality vehicles at transparent and attractive prices. Create a watch list for the makes and models you’re interested in to ensure your lot is stocked with the vehicles your customers want.
1. Wayland, M. (10 January 2021). Pickup trucks dominate America's 10 best-selling vehicles of 2020. CNBC. Retrieved December 29, 2022, from https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/08/pickup-trucks-dominate-americas-10-best-selling-vehicles-of-2020.html
2. Pickup Truck Market to Touch Valuation of $253.93 Billion by 2028 | Global Sales of Pickup Trucks to Surpass 4.8 million Units by 2028. SkyQuest Technology Consulting Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved December 29, 2022, from https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/11/21/2559988/0/en/Pickup-Truck-Market-to-Touch-Valuation-of-253-93-Billion-by-2028-Global-Sales-of-Pickup-Trucks-to-Surpass-4-8-million-Units-by-2028-SkyQuest-Technology.html
3. Wayland, M. (2 December, 2021). Ford pickup remains America's top-selling truck for 45th year, automaker says. CNBC. 12/29/2022 https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/02/ford-pickup-remains-americas-top-selling-truck-for-45th-year.html
4. 2017 Ford F-150. Car and Driver. Retrieved December 29, 2022, from https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150-2017
5. Tralongo, J. (8 January 2021). 2017 Ford F-150 Super Cab Review. Kelley Blue Book. Retrieved December 29, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/ford/f150/2017/
6. Talking Tacos: Watch Real Truck Guys Test the 2016 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road. AutoGuide.com. Retrieved December 29, 2022, from https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/12/talking-tacos-watch-real-truck-guys-test-the-2016-toyota-tacoma-off-road.html
7. Jones, C. (19 June 2020). 2019 Toyota Tacoma Review. U.S. News and World Report. Retrieved December 22, 2022, https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/tacoma/2019
8. Stafford, E. 2019 Toyota Tacoma. Car and Driver. Retrieved December 29, 2022, from https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/tacoma-2019
9. Shelton, S. (2 November 2018). 2017 Chevrolet Colorado Review. U.S. News and World Report. Retrieved December 22, 2022, https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/chevrolet/colorado/2017
10. Buglewicz, K. (25 November 2019). 2017 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab Review. Kelley Blue Book. Retrieved December 29, 2022, from https://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/colorado/2017/
11. 2018 Ram 1500. Car and Driver. Retrieved December 22, 2022, from https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/1500-2018
12. RAM 1500 Safety Features. Autoblog. Retrieved December 22, 2022, from https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2018-RAM-1500/safety-features/
Jan 26, 2023